This painting is an architectural illustration of the Robb Mansion once located on Washington Avenue, uptown New Orleans. The mansion was built for James Robb, a prominent banker and entrepreneur in the early nineteenth century. The Robb residence passed to John Burnside and then later was used as the campus for H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College from 1890 - 1917. From 1917 - 1955, the Robb Mansion was home to the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary until they too moved to a larger campus. Soon thereafter, the property that had housed so many over the course of the last century was demolished.
|Roger H. Ogden Collection
The Louisiana Endowment has included this work in 64parishes.org for the purposes of criticism, comment, teaching, scholarship, educational research, all other nonprofit educational usages under Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act.