64 Parishes, a nonprofit publication of the Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities, is a quarterly magazine for a general audience. We publish articles on regional history, art, literature, folklife, foodways, archaeology, music, religion, education, architecture and natural history.
- We seek lively, well-researched and well-written articles that appeal to intelligent, inquisitive readers. Of special interest to us are articles that discuss events within the context of their times and articles that show connections between the past and the present, between Louisiana and the rest of the world. Freelancers are encouraged to read past issues to familiarize themselves with our content.
- Our feature articles typically range from 1,500–3,000 words and include additional materials such as sidebars, photographs, and illustrations.
- We will also consider short pieces, ranging from 500–1,000 words, for our Parish Spotlight department, with particular emphasis on community events and festivals that feature humanities programming, museum exhibitions, educational initiatives, historic preservation and profiles of authors, scholars, artists, musicians and community activists.
- Footnotes and bibliographies are not required, but we do expect authors to include sources for fact-checking.
- We welcome contributions from freelancers but suggest that ideas for articles be submitted—in some detail—to our editors in advance. Queries should include a description of the writer’s credentials—both writing experience (including writing samples) and expertise in the subject being proposed.
- Our editing and production cycle requires that we are often working on content six months or more in advance of publication. Story proposals should take this into account. Most successful proposals will be for subject matter that is not overly time-sensitive and will stand for publication for some time after it is completed.
- We occasionally publish excerpts from both fiction and nonfiction books and poetry.
- We follow the Chicago Stylebook.
- Our articles are heavily illustrated. We encourage authors to send available photographs and illustrations or contacts to sources that can supply images.
- 64 Parishes purchases articles on a “work-for-hire” basis and we reserve the right to edit. Contracts will be forwarded via mail or email prior to publication, and all reprint rights are retained by the magazine, including digital publishing rights.
- All submissions should be forwarded via email to editor Erin Greenwald: email@example.com. Books may be mailed to Erin Greenwald, LEH, 938 Lafayette Street, New Orleans, LA 70113.