Houmas House Plantation, near Darrow, was a tract of land along the Mississippi River purchased from the Houmas Indians in colonial times by Maurice Conway and Alexandre Latil. The Greek Revival Mansion was built in 1840 by John Smith Preston and his wife, Caroline.
|Courtesy of||Louisiana State Museum|
Physical rights are held by the Louisiana State Museum in accordance with U.S. federal copyright laws. The Louisiana Endowment has included this work in 64parishes.org for the purposes of criticism, comment, teaching, scholarship, educational research, all other nonprofit educational usages under Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act.