Our fall 2021 special issue of 64 Parishes centers on Louisiana at play. Marybeth Lima takes us birding, Jordan Richardson introduces us to the award-winning ULL trampoline team, and Alison Fensterstock invites us to sweat along with her reflection on the career of New Orleans native Richard Simmons. Danielle Abrams explores the history of Lincoln Beach as a space of Black recreation and community, and Kevin Rabalais rides along on a frogging expedition in Jefferson Davis Parish. Former Lieutenant Governor Jay Dardenne offers a dream team of Louisiana baseball greats, and Gwen Thompkins describes the Dew Drop Inn in its heyday.
Other stories this issue include:
- Kelly Harris-DeBerry on how “Casanova” became a brass band staple
- Brian M. Davis on Louisiana’s Rosenwald schools
- This year’s honorees from the Louisiana Folklife Commission
- Lucie Monk Carter on rougarous and the festivals that celebrate them
- Jessica B. Harris on Louisiana’s glorious gourds
- Richard Campanella on the Louisiana hill country
- Ben Sandmel on the second volume of Ann Savoy’s Francophone music compendium
- Sydney To reads Eric Nguyen’s Things We Lost to the Water
Plus stories from our partners at The Historic New Orleans Collection, Shreveport Regional Arts Council, West Baton Rouge Museum, Northwest Louisiana History Museum and Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame, and Northeast Louisiana Arts Council.
The current issue of 64 Parishes is available at retail outlets across Louisiana or can be ordered through the LEH for $5.95 plus shipping. In stock back issues are also available for $6.95. To order email [email protected] or call 1.800.909.7990 or 504.356.0505.