Our spring 2022 issue of 64 Parishes introduces our Humanities Awards winners. Our Humanist of the Year is Ruby Bridges, the activist who at six years old intergrated Frantz Elementary School. We’re also proud to present Documentary Photgrapher of the Year L. Kasimu Harris, Documentary Film of the Year The Neutral Ground, Lifetime Contributions to the Humanities Awardees Joyce Marie Jackson and Kalamu ya Salaam, Champion of Culture John Barbry of the Tunica-Biloxi Tribe, and more.
We’re also proud to present:
- A look at the unlikely romances that spring up between French Quarter Sicilans and Italians POWs during World War II
- An interview with Shreveport-born Pulizter Prize-winning poet Jericho Brown
- An inventory of parish name origins
- A lament on having a shellfish allergy during crawfish season
- A celebration of Vidalia’s one-man band, Gray Montgomery
- Hurricane Ida’s cultural cost
- Louisiana’s tourist-facing dialect
Plus stories from our partners at The Historic New Orleans Collection, Shreveport Regional Arts Council, and the Tennessee Williams New Orleans Literary Festival.
The current issue of 64 Parishes is available at retail outlets across Louisiana or can be ordered through the LEH for $5.95 plus shipping. In stock back issues are also available for $6.95. To order visit 64parishes.org/subscribe or call 1.800.909.7990 or 504.356.0505.